The term Canthal Tilt is used to describe an angle between lateral canthal i.e outside corner of the eye in relation to Medial Canthal i.e inner corner of the eye. Canthal tilt is the most important concept in medical studies especially in Ophthalmology i.e eye specialization and periorbital anesthetics.
It is necessary to know about canthal tilt before going for any upper or lower eyelids surgeries or other procedures.
What is canthus?
Canthus can be defined as “ The corner of the eye either right or left eye where the upper eyelids meet the lower eyelids.
Where is Medial Canthus?
Medically the word medial means towards the center or middle. So the term Medial canthus is located where the upper eyelids and lower eyelids meet each other on the nasal sides i.e on the side of the nose.
Where is Lateral Canthus?
The lateral canthus is located where the upper eyelids and lower eyelids meet each other on the ear sides i.e on the sides of the ears.
What are the different types of Canthal Tilts:
There are three types of tilts i.e
- Positive Canthal Tilt
- Negative Canthal Tilt
- Neutral Canthal Tilt
What is Positive Canthal Tilt?
A Positive Canthal Tilt can be said whenever there is an angle between medial and lateral canthus is five to eight degrees. It can easily be measured by drawing an imaginary line between the mid pupil portion of the eye.
The Canthus on the ear side i.e lateral canthus should be 5 to 8 degrees higher than that of medial i.e canthus towards the nose.
It has been widely measured and discussed in the fashion industry. It has a role in fashion industries as well as gender and ethnicity. It is found in young people and the fashion industry believes that it makes the look more and more attractive especially young models.
What is Negative Canthal Tilt?
It is most commonly found in old age peoples and during aging. As it can be considered as a sign of aging in both women and men.
It can be explained as excessive upper and lower skin of the eyelid causes negative canthal tilt.
It is sometimes considered as the appearance of a strongly tried or sorrowful face.
What is Neutral Canthal Tilt?
The Neutral Canthal Tilt means there is no angle between Medial and Lateral canthus. Simple if there is no angle means it’s nothing or neutral.
This appearance in men has not such importance as it can be found at any aging. Because often it can be found in young men.
But for women, it is considered as a sign of aging especially in the field of fashion industries.
The Neutral Canthal Tilt looks as if she is tried in women so most of the women dislike this look.
Can you change Canthal tilt?
A canthoplasty is a technique used to change Canthal tilt. By canthoplasty your canthal tilt is fixed by making lateral canthus above the medical according to need normally about 2 mm above but varies with demand by the person. As a result the Lateral canthus becomes higher the medical canthus i.e positive canthal tilt. Rarely people looks for negative or neutral canthal tilt. Canthoplasty is a type of optic surgery in which surgeon opens the eyelids and tighten and harden muscle tendons.
How to improve your Canthal Tilt?
If we want to improve canthal tilt we must know the cause of the canthal tilt changing i.e why the canthal tilt changes over a time period?
There are many causes why canthal Tilt changes like aging are one of the most common causes.
One must take a lot of effort to improve the canthal tilt.
What are the different methods for Canthal Tilt Correction?
There are a number of ways to correct the Canthal Tilt after changing
- It has been noticed that smoking reduces the skin elasticity including the elasticity of the eyelids especially lower eyelids. Loss of elasticity will eventually cause the change in canthal tilt with time. So better is to avoid smoking to maintain periorbital tilt as normal.
- Wearing sunglasses or sunscreen is really helpful as we know that sun rays also damage the skin elasticity which also results in the softness of the skin tissues. Which causes difficulty in canthal tilt maintenance.
- Using the creams promotes the production of elastic fibers of collagen i.e a protein that maintains the elasticity.
- Using the creams reduces the effect of sun rays which can protect the skin and elastic tissues.
- Surgically the popular method that has been used for a time period is blepharoplasty of the upper and lower eyelids. During these cosmetic plastic surgeries, the consultant i.e dermatologist commonly corrects the canthal tilt at the angle of about 5 to 9 depending upon the structure of the face and choice of the persons. In this procedure, lower eyelids are augmented with blepharoplasty by using a method called Lateral Retinacular Canthoplasty. By this method, the lateral canthus becomes tightened and elevated as a result of which your canthal tilt becomes positive which makes your look better than that of neutral or negative canthal tilt.
What is Canthoplasty?
Canthoplasty is a type of cosmetic surgery for the sag and uneven eyelids. It is a specialized procedure which is carried out by highly professional Oculoplastic surgeons, sometimes the cosmetics surgeons as well.
The end result of canthoplasty is that it improves your facial appearance and your eyes look wider just like cat eyes in style. The procedure is performed by applying local anesthetics or sometimes with intravenous sedation.
The procedure is performed to correct the position of the eyelids, especially lower eyelids because of Canthal Tilt or trauma or sometimes for ptosis.
Sometimes canthopexy is used instead of canthoplasty.